Need to update your supplies or want to be sure you have all your emergency needs covered? This Quick Pick page is designed to let you add to or update items with one easy click. It is also a great place to look through for ideas to round out your emergency supplies. Scroll down to the Product Description for more information and tips about getting prepared.
These items also make for great gifts. Stock up today!
In the event of an emergency, government sources, such as Emergency Management BC, recommend that you and your loved ones be self-sufficient for a minimum of 72 hours; 1-2 weeks is even better.
What does that look like?
Consider your basic needs first – food, water, and shelter.
It is recommended that you store a minimum of 1200 calories and 4 litres (1 gallon) of water per person per day.
– if you have a water source nearby, such as a stream, pond, or lake, then we highly recommend the LifeStraw GO or the LifeStraw Family as your best options for staying hydrated. The LifeStraw Go bottle and filter allows you to scoop and go. It filters up to 1000 litres, removing 99.99% of all viruses, bacteria and protozoa (parasites). On a side note, it’s great to take travelling or on outdoors excursions too! The LifeStraw Family uses the same water filter technology filtering up to 18,000 litres of water, which is enough to supply three years of clean drinking water for a family of four. Another option is to use Aquatabs, internationally recognized water tablets, to purify water from your source.
– if you need to store water, the water pouches are a safe, portable and convenient option for 72 hours. Their 5 year shelf life means you don’t have to keep refreshing your water supply every 6 months. We also have Blue Can Water that has an incredible 50 year shelf life.
– to extend your water supply beyond 72 hours see our many other water storage and filtration options.
– emergency food ration bars are the most convenient food for a 72 hour period. Throw in one package of 3600 Calorie Food Bars per person. Each package contains 9 individually wrapped 400 calorie fortified food bars providing a total of 3600 Kcal. This provides a person 3 meals a day for 3 days. Our bars have a 5 year shelf life.
– see our freeze dried food options to extend the food portion of your kit for longer than 72 hours. The emergency food bars will see you through the first few days of an emergency, but it’s likely you will soon be craving hot entrees, meat, fruit, and vegetables. Most of our freeze dried food has a 25 year shelf life.
Shelter & Tools
– next consider your environment and what shelter and tools you will need. If you have to leave your home, where will you sleep? Think through what you already have – camping supplies are excellent for doubling up as emergency equipment. Read through the Quick Pick list for ideas.
Light & Communication
– you will need to have a reliable source for light and communication. We have excellent multi-powered radio/flashlights that not only light your way and keep you connected, but also charge your cell phone and other devices. See our light and communication options here.
– finally, when you gotta go, you gotta go. It’s a daily need but it’s easy to overlook the fact that the household toilet may not be an option in the event of an emergency. A pail is a good start, but it’s important to have supplies to properly dispose of the waste which will minimize the spreading of disease. One of our Restop waste management products are an excellent option to include in your kit.
Other kits and obscure items you can collect at home:
A basic first aid kit, pet care (food, water, extra leashes etc), toilet paper, prescription medication and glasses, trash bags, toiletry items, shovels, paper, pens, sewing kits, shoe laces, blankets, gloves, games (playing cards are great!), wind up clocks, tarps, important documents on a USB stick, photos of loved ones and pets.
If you have any other questions about putting your kit together, then please contact us at 1-888-832-1733 and one of our advisors will be happy to assist you.
Quick Picks Under $40
Need more info? Contact us via form below! Required fields are marked with *