Mylar Bags are perfect for food storage – try them out today!
Mylar Bags are the first line of defense between your food and the outside world. With a thickness of 5 mil (0.127mm), these bags are exceptional at preventing light and moisture pollution. While they are effective on their own, we recommend pairing your Mylar Bag with Oxygen Absorbers. This helps you achieve maximum shelf life for your food as well as preserving freshness and taste.
Explore home food preservation with our Customer Experience Manager Cort!
Zip seal bags don’t require a heat seal, however we do recommend it for maximum effectiveness. You can do this using a purpose-built machine, or an iron. Once you’ve sealed your Mylar Bag above the zip seal, you’ll be able to tear off the tamper seal when you need to access your food. The zip seal will remain intact, and you can re-use it to keep your food fresh and protected.
Mylar bags are best paired with a bucket or some other rigid external storage. While they are more robust than other comparable plastic bags, Mylar is still a thin and lightweight material. If the bag is punctured, its efficiency will drop considerably. The best way to ensure it’s safe is to give it a suit of armour; after all, protecting your food is one of the most important things you can do to prepare!
Once filled, the half-gallon mylar bag can hold 1-2 lbs of grains, rice, legumes, or other food. Generally, if you pack the bag with a dense food such as flower or sugar, you should use one 300cc Oxygen Absorber or more to absorb the excess air. If you use a coarse food such as pasta, you should consider using one 1000cc Oxygen Absorber or more. In general, it’s best to use too many absorbers rather than too few. It’s best not to risk spoilage!
Mylar Bag Features
- 10″x10″ Half Gallon 5 mil Thick Zip Seal Mylar Bag
- Sealable With Hot Iron – Can Reseal After Opening
- Ideal for Long Term Food Storage
- Light, Moisture, Oxygen Barrier & Puncture Resistant
- This Size bag is perfect for meal-sized quantities of rice, beans, or legumes, as well as a great size for spices, sugar and salt. (Up to 2 pounds per bag.)
- Gusseted bottom
- We recommend heat sealing above the Zip Seal for best results. An iron can be used for heat sealing.