Mylar Bags are perfect for food storage – try them out today!
Mylar Bags are the first line of defense between your food and the outside world. With a thickness of 5 mil (0.127mm), these bags are exceptional at preventing light and moisture pollution. While they are effective on their own, we recommend pairing your Mylar Bag with Oxygen Absorbers. This helps you achieve maximum shelf life for your food as well as preserving freshness and taste.
Zip seal bags don’t require a heat seal, however we do recommend it for maximum effectiveness. You can do this using a purpose-built machine, or an iron. Once you’ve sealed your Mylar Bag above the zip seal, you’ll be able to tear off the tamper seal when you need to access your food. The zip seal will remain intact, and you can re-use it to keep your food fresh and protected.
Mylar bags are best paired with a bucket or some other rigid external storage. While they are more robust than other comparable plastic bags, Mylar is still a thin and lightweight material. If the bag is punctured, its efficiency will drop considerably. The best way to ensure it’s safe is to give it a suit of armour; after all, protecting your food is one of the most important things you can do to prepare!
Once filled, this bag can hold 5-7 lbs of grains, rice, legumes, or other food. Generally, if you pack the bag with a dense food such as flower or sugar, you should use one 300cc Oxygen Absorber or more to absorb the excess air. If you use a coarse food such as pasta, you should consider using one 1000cc Oxygen Absorber or more. In general, it’s best to use too many absorbers rather than too few. It’s best not to risk spoilage!
Mylar Bag – 1 Gallon Zip Seal Features
- 10″x 16″x 4″ (25.4 x 40.6 x 10.16 cm) Gussetted 1 gallon 5 mil thick mylar bag – Has a bottom gusset that allows the bag to stand up for easy filling.
- Seals with Zip Seal alone, or if you wish you can also heat seal above the Zip Seal with a hot iron
- Can reseal after opening
- Bags stand up on one sealed end with a Ziplock on the other end
- Ideal for long term food storage
- Light, moisture, oxygen barrier & puncture resistant
- This size bag is perfect for storing salt, baking soda/powder and spices and usable quantities of grains, rice or legumes.