LifeStraw Peak Gravity Filter System
- The LifeStraw Peak Gravity Filter System water purifier removes 99.999999% of bacteria, 99.999% of protozoa, and 99.999% of microplastics, while purifying an impressive 2000 liters of water (500 gallons).
- Simply fill the BPA-Free bag, hang, and enjoy clean, purified drinking water. It’s ideal for camping, group hikes, expeditions, emergency preparedness and much more. Available in 3 litre size.
- Packs down into a very compact size. Easy to fit in an emergency kit or hiking bag!
Features & Benefits
- Filters up to 500 gallons or 2,000 litres of water to 0.02 microns (20 nm)
- Removes minimum 99.999% of microplastics (>LOG 5 reduction)
- Removes minimum 99.999999% of bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
- Removes minimum 99.999% of parasites (>LOG 5 reduction)
- Requires no electrical power or batteries
- Requires no running water or piped-in water supply
- Flow-rate of 9-12 liters (2.4-3.2 gallons) per hour
- Dry bag is lightweight, compact and easy to fill
- The included shoulder strap makes carrying easy, and also enables the bag to be hung
- Designed to handle turbid and muddy water
- Ultrafiltration hollow fiber membrane microfilter
- Easy-to-clean pre-filter and purification cartridge
- All raw materials are BPA free and US FDA compliant
- No aftertaste: LifeStraw doesn’t use iodine or iodinated resin chemicals
- Internationally recognized & award-winning LifeStraw water filter
How LifeStraw Peak Gravity Filter Works
LifeStraw Peak Gravity Filter uses a highly efficient method of purification that requires no chemicals, batteries or moving parts. Water poured into the dry bag moves through the membrane microfilter, forced through narrow hollow fibers. Clean water exits through tiny pores in the walls of the hollow fibers, but bacteria, protozoa and other contaminants are trapped inside and are flushed out by backwashing.
- Purifier is easy to clean in the field, thanks to included back-flush accessory
- All raw materials are US FDA compliant or equivalent
- Water passes through the meter-long PVC hose and gravity creates sufficient pressure on the membrane cartridge in order to reach a high flow rate.
- Ultra filtration takes place in the hollow fiber membrane cartridge – a pore size of 20 nanometers (0.02 microns) retains bacteria, viruses, parasites and fine dirt particles.
- The clip is used to control flow rate
Care and Storage
The Science Behind LifeStraw
Backed by serious research in international labs and extensive testing in the field, LifeStraw and LifeStraw Family have been distributed to nearly every major international humanitarian disaster since 2005 and in broad public health campaigns in the millions.
The same high-tech design used in places like Haiti, Indonesia, South Africa, Kenya, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Pakistan and Bangladesh is now available in the USA and Canada.
Does the LifeStraw Gravity Filter require a power source?
The LifeStraw Gravity Filter does not require any power source- no batteries or electricity needed!
Does the LifeStraw Gravity Filter remove viruses with iodine?
The LifeStraw Gravity Filter eliminates contaminants without electricity, moving parts or chemicals.
Does the LifeStraw Gravity Filter treat salt water, heavy metals, chemicals or viruses?
The LifeStraw Gravity Filter is designed with the outdoor enthusiast in mind. It filters out 99.999999% of waterborne bacteria, 99.999% of waterborne parasites and 99.999% of microplastics. It will remove chemicals or salt from salt water and thus should not be used with ocean water, sea water or brackish water.
How will I know when the LifeStraw Gravity Filter has reached 2,000L of water?
The LifeStraw Peak Series has an auto-clog mechanism. If the product does not deliver water despite the backwashing and pre-filter cleaning, it means that the life of the product is over. LifeStraw Gravity Filter will filter on average about 10 liters of water an hour and can filter more than 2,000 liters over the product’s lifecycle. This is enough to provide a typical family of five up to 6 months of clean and safe water!
Can I drink pool water with LifeStraw products?
Pool water contains chlorine and other chemicals. LifeStraw products can only filter out bacteria, microplastics, turbidity, and parasites, but not chemicals.
What is the shelf life of LifeStraw products?
LifeStraw products use mechanical filters to remove contaminants from the water source. As there are no chemicals or moving parts involved within the filtering process, nothing will expire. If stored in room temperature, the LifeStraw will last indefinitely until it reaches capacity…even after use!
Can the LifeStraw Gravity Filter be used in extreme temperatures?
The LifeStraw Gravity Filter is only intended for use between 0C-60C (32F-140F). If exposed to freezing temperatures after use, residual water inside may freeze and crack the LifeStraw filter. These cracks may be microscopic but will affect the unit, so we recommend never letting it freeze- exercise caution when camping at high elevations or in freezing temperatures.
How do I clean my LifeStraw Gravity Filter?
After every use, clean inside the dry bag and rinse out the bag. Detach the Peak series filter to store the dry bag and separately. Use the included backwash accessory to clear any remaining contaminants from the filter as guided by the included user manual.
It is taking a long time for water to come out of the LifeStraw Gravity Filter – any tips?
When you use your LifeStraw Gravity Filter for the first time, the purifier is completely dry (after storing, for example), and it takes a little longer to prime the filter. We recommend that you close the flow control clip and fill the dry bag completely to let water pass through the filter. Let the filter prime for approximately 1 minute, and then open the flow control clip.
If the flow rate is slow, try backwashing the filter before restarting it. To do this, disconnect the membrane microfilter by twisting counterclockwise. Then, screw the included backwash syringe onto the membrane microfilter. Plunge the open end of the filter into drinking water, and draw water up through the filter by pulling the syringe upward and away from the filter until it reaches the edge of the housing. Then push water back through the filter by pressing the syringe downward toward the filter until the water has been fully pushed through the other side.
Can I replace the filter in my LifeStraw Gravity Filter?
Yes – you can get LifeStraw replacement filters for all Peak series filters.
What does the LifeStraw Gravity Filter purify?
The LifeStraw Gravity Filter removes 99.999999% of bacteria, 99.999% of parasites and 99.999% of microplastics that are present in the water using hollow fiber membrane ultra filtration. They have a 0.02 micron pore size that physically removes the bacteria, virus and protozoa from the water.
LifeStraw is manufactured by Vestergaard Frandsen, a Swiss company specializing in disease control products for developing countries. Their core business model is centered around corporate social responsibility, and helping countries reach their United Nations’ Millenium Development Goals with products designed to prevent vector and water-borne diseases.
Awards & Accolades
LifeStraw has received significant accolades since the original design was invented in 2005- Time magazine named LifeStraw the “Best Invention of 2005.” In 2008, it won the Saatchi & Saatchi Award for “World Changing Ideas.” Esquire called LifeStraw the “Innovation of the Year.” Forbes stated LifeStraw is “one of the ten things that will change the way we live.”
Bag Dimensions: 20.8 x 8.6 inches | 52.9 x 22 cm