Extremely versatile, this has to be one of our new favourite filter options for bug out bags and people on the go. The filter has two stages: a new and improved hollow fiber filter (filters more in less space!) and a carbon filter capsule for added peace of mind.
- Hollow fiber filter: This is the piece that looks like a bundle of tiny strings. As water is forced through it bacteria, protozoa, microplastics, and particulates are caught in the microscopic pours and clean water is let through.
- Carbon Capsule: This piece of your filter reduces what are known as ‘aesthetic impurities.’ These are things like colour, taste, chlorine, heavy metals, and lead.
Your LifeStraw Flex also comes with a syringe to help you maintain your Flex and maximize its shelf life. We recommend keeping this syringe with your Flex, as it is recommended to clean it often during daily use and after long term storage.
There are five different ways you can use your awesome new Flex:
As a straw
Stick the end in your fresh water source and sip! This use is similar to a Lifestraw Personal, but with the added protection of a carbon filter.
With the soft touch bottle
The LifeStraw Flex comes with a packable, flexible bottle that is ideal for gathering up water from streams, lakes, rivers, etc. Just fill the bottle, screw your filter in place, and squeeze for clean water!
With a conventional plastic water bottle
If you’re travelling, or forgot your regular water bottle, never fear! The LifeStraw Flex can be screwed onto plastic water bottles to ensure that you can get a safe drink anywhere there’s water!
With a hydration bladder
Easily use your Flex with a hydration bladder by cutting the hydration bladder’s hose (check the diameter looks right first!), insert both ends of the filter into the hose, and continue to use as you usually would. Pay close attention to the direction of water flow to ensure that you are getting water that has passed through the filter correctly.
As a gravity filter
If you have an old/broken gravity filter around, cut the hose and insert the Flex to give your holding bag and hose new life!
- Weight: 167 grams
- Filter size: 12 cm (4.7”)
- Soft bottle volume: 650mL
- Microbiological filter (hollow fiber) pore size: 0.2 microns
- Filters: 99.99% of bacteria (E. coli etc)
- Filters: 99.99% of protozoa (Giardia, Cryptosporidium, etc)
- Hollow fiber filter capacity: up to 2000 litres (500 gallons)
- Carbon capsule capacity: 100 litres (replacement capsules are coming soon!)
- Exceeds NSF 53 standard for reduction of lead and other heavy metals
- Exceeds NSF 42 standard for chlorine reduction
- Improves taste and reduces bad odours
- Recyclable: Yes
Added bonus! Follow the litres!
As a philanthropic bonus, for every LifeStraw purchased one school child in a developing community receives safe drinking water for an entire school year!