OVER 3 YEARS OF PURIFIED WATER FOR YOUR FAMILY. The longest lasting, highest value purifier on the market. LifeStraw Family is a point-of-use microbiological water purifier capable of removing viruses, bacteria and protozoa (parasites) to protect against waterborne diseases. It filters up to 18,000 litres of water, enough to supply clean drinking water for a family of five for up to three years.
LifeStraw Family is a large volume water purifier providing up to 4750 gallons or 18000 litres of water, enough to supply a family of five with clean drinking water for up to three years. It’s useful to have at home to purify contaminated tap water in the event of boil water advisories or emergency situations. In a worst-case scenario, you can rely on the LifeStraw Family to purify water from any freshwater source near your home.
Lightweight and portable, LifeStraw Family is perfect for point-of-use water filtration while travelling or camping in remote areas. It makes filtering water a breeze at base camps, while vehicle camping or camping with groups.
Features & Benefits
- Filters up to 4,750 gallons or 18,000 litres of water to 0.02 microns (20 nm)
- Removes minimum 99.99% of viruses (>LOG 4 reduction)
- Removes minimum 99.9999% of bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
- Removes minimum 99.9% of protozoan cysts (>LOG 3 reduction)
- Requires no electrical power, batteries, or replacement parts
- Requires no running water or piped-in water supply
- Flow-rate of 9-12 litres/hour
- Has an easy-to-clean pre-filter and purification cartridge
- All raw materials are US FDA compliant or equivalent
- Internationally recognized & award-winning water filter
- Used worldwide in harsh conditions since 2005
How LifeStraw Family Works
LifeStraw Family uses advanced hollow fiber technology. Water is forced through narrow fibers under high pressure. Clean water exits through tiny pores in the walls of the hollow fibers, but bacteria, viruses, protozoa and other contaminants are trapped inside the hollow fibers and are flushed out by backwashing. This is a highly efficient method of filtration.
- The feed water bucket (2 litre capacity) is filled with water.
- The 80-micron textile pre-filter (inside the feed water bucket) removes coarser particles and is easy to clean.
- Water passes through the meter-long blue PVC hose and gravity creates sufficient pressure on the membrane cartridge in order to reach a high flow rate.
- Ultra filtration takes place in the hollow fiber membrane cartridge – a pore size of 20 nanometers (0.02 microns) retains bacteria, viruses, parasites and fine dirt particles.
- The blue tap is turned to release purified water.
- Backwash the membrane by squeezing the red backwash bulb 3 times with both taps closed and then releasing the dirty water from the red tap. Water from the red tap should never be consumed.
Q. Does the LifeStraw Family 1.0 require a power source?
A. The LifeStraw Family 1.0 is a gravity filter and does not require any power source. No batteries or electricity is needed.
Q. Does the LifeStraw Family 1.0 remove viruses with iodine?
A. The LifeStraw Family 1.0 filters out contaminants without electricity, moving parts or chemicals. It will remove 99.999% of viruses through advanced filtering technology.
Q. Does the LifeStraw Family 1.0 filter out salt water and/or chemicals?
A. The LifeStraw Family 1.0 is designed for the backcountry and will filter out 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria, 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites and 99.999% of viruses and. Salt water and chemicals will not be removed.
Q. Can I buy replacement parts or filters for the LifeStraw Family 1.0?
A. There are no replacement parts or filters available for the LifeStraw Family 1.0. The LifeStraw Family 1.0 filters 18,000L of water. This means that if used daily, a family of 5 can receive clean drinking water for 3 years.
Q. How will I know when the LifeStraw Family 1.0 has reached 18,000L of water?
A. LifeStraw Family 1.0 has an auto-clog mechanism. If the product does not deliver water despite the backwashing and pre-filter cleaning, it means that the life of the product is over. LifeStraw Family 1.0 will filter on average about 10 litres of water an hour and can filter more than 18,000 litres over the product’s lifecycle. That is enough to provide a typical family of five up to three years worth of clean and safe water.
Q. Can I drink pool water with LifeStraw products?
A. Pool water contains chlorine and other chemicals. LifeStraw products can only filter out bacteria and parasites, not chemicals.
Q. How do you know when your LifeStraw has reached capacity?
A. When your LifeStraw has reached capacity, it will no longer be able to draw water through the filter. To extend the life of your LifeStraw, please follow the instructions on the manual to properly back flush the unit.
Q. What is the shelf life of LifeStraw products?
A. LifeStraw products use mechanical filters to remove contaminants from the water source. No chemicals or moving parts are involved within the filtering process, meaning nothing will expire. If stored in room temperature, the LifeStraw will last indefinitely until it reaches capacity…even after use!
The Science Behind LifeStraw
Backed by serious research in our international labs and extensive testing in the field, LifeStraw and LifeStraw Family have been distributed to nearly every major international humanitarian disaster since 2005 and in broad public health campaigns in the millions.
The same high-tech design used in places like Haiti, Indonesia, South Africa, Kenya, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Pakistan and Bangladesh is now available in the USA and Canada.
LifeStraw is manufactured by Vestergaard Frandsen, a Swiss company specializing in disease control products for developing countries. Their core business model is centered around corporate social responsibility, and helping countries reach their United Nations’ Millenium Development Goals with products designed to prevent vector and water-borne diseases.
Awards & Accolades
LifeStraw has received significant accolades since its original design was invented in 2005. Time magazine named LifeStraw the “Best Invention of 2005.” In 2008, it won the Saatchi & Saatchi Award for “World Changing Ideas.” Esquire called LifeStraw the “Innovation of the Year.” Forbes stated LifeStraw is “one of the ten things that will change the way we live.”
LifeStraw Family 1.0
Need more info? Contact us via form below! Required fields are marked with *