LifeStraw Community is a high-volume point-of-use water purifier with built-in safe storage that provides safe drinking water for family, community, educational and institutional settings. It prevents waterborne disease such as diarrhea, typhoid, cholera, worms, and cryptosporidiosis.
Features & Benefits
- Hollow fibre filtration technology converts contaminated water into safe drinking water
- Removes a minimum of 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.999 % of viruses and 99.99% of protozoan cysts
- Removes Microplastics
- Meets the standard for the ‘highly protective’ category of household water treatment options by the World Health Organization and complies with US EPA guidelines for microbiological water purifiers
- 25 litre dirty water tank and 25 litre safe storage tank: total capacity of 50 litres
- Filtration rate: 12 litres/hour
- Can purify between 70,000 -100,000* litres of water over its lifetime
- Made of durable plastic
- Doesn’t require electrical power or batteries
*Based on a turbidity level of 4-5NTU, under laboratory conditions.
How LifeStraw Community Works
- 25 litres of untreated water is poured into the top of the unit, also called the dirty water container.
- The pre-filter removes coarse particles larger than 80 microns.
- The ultrafiltration hollow-fibre membrane cartridge, located inside the main dark blue body of the filter, then stops all turbidity particles and pathogens larger than 20 nanometres (including all bacteria, viruses and protozoan cysts). Particles and microbes larger than 20 nanometres stay on the dirty side of the membrane and clean/purified water passes through the membrane.
- Purified water can be collected from any of the four taps.
- The blue tap is turned to release purified water.
- The backwashing handle allows semi-automatic backwashing; when it is pulled down and released, pathogens and dust particles on the dirty side of the membrane are lifted by backpressure and then flushed out into the red backwash container.
Perfect for use in schools, health care facilities and workplaces.
LifeStraw – A Product in Action
In 2014, Vestergaard launched the LifeStraw Follow the Litres program to harness the power of consumers to make an impact. Under this program, for each consumer purchase of a LifeStraw product, one school child in a developing country is provided with safe water for an entire year. This is made possible because a portion of the funds from sales is used to supply LifeStraw Community water purifiers to the schools.
LifeStraw Follow the Litres was launched in Kenya in October. Over a two-week period, more than 1,600 LifeStraw Community water purifiers were distributed to 301 schools to provide more than 23 million litres of safe water a year to over 125,000 school children throughout Kenya’s western province.
- Weight: 19 lb. (8.6 kg)
- Capacity: 70,000 – 100,000
- Dimensions: 22” x 22” x 24” (57 x 57 x 62 cm)